- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
Simple onion and potato soup
This is a very simple onion soup with potato. Serves 2 - 4.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: ca 1 - 2h
- Onions - 4 small or 2 large
- Potatoes - 4 - 6 potatoes
- Garlic - 3 - 5 cloves
- Vegetable broth powder - 1 - 2 tbsp
- Salt - ca 1 tbsp
- Black pepper, coarse - ca 0.5 tbsp
- White wine - ca 0.25 liter
- Water - ca 0.5 - 0.7 liter
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in decently small dices
- Slice the onion, either in rings or half moons
- Crush or slice the garlic cloves
- Fry the onions and the garlic in the soup pot on medium heat until the onion is getting just a little bit colour
- Add the vegetable broth powder. Don't be shy. The more of the broth powder you use, the less salt you need to add later on.
- Cover the pot with a lid and reduce the temperature to a bare minimum. The lid will keep the heat and let the onion and garlic slow cook. Let simmer for ca 15 - 20 minutes. The onions should sweat a lot and get really mushy.
- Add wine and water
- Add the potatoes
- Season roughly with salt and pepper
You will need to season with more salt before serving. It is hard to say how much salt you need, but if the soup does not taste amazing and sweep your feet away when you taste it, you have added too little salt.
For non vegans you can put some grated cheese on top of the soup, and eventually crust it a bit with a gas burner or by putting it in the oven at 220C. The soup goes really well with garlic bread!